If you want to extinguish the flame of a candle, you just need to blow a breath at it. But if possible to make the flame stay in the wind? Absolutely, butane torch lighters make it. However, is the windproof lighter really safe? What should you pay attention to when using it?
What is a windproof lighter?
Windproof lighter refers to a lighter made by Bernoulli’s principle. Its fire is different from ordinary lighters, it’s usually called torch lighter or butane lighter, power with triple flames.
Windproof lighter is a special light that can be ignited even in harsh environments such as high winds.
Butane torches work by discharging liquid butane, stored in a pressurized space, in a narrow stream of gas. A flicker, made by striking flint with steel or simply by compressing piezoelectric crystal, ignites the gas. The Triple flame butane torch is a giant among torch lighters. Weighty and shaped to make an easy grip, the Triple Flame Torch is both intuitive and convenient. That makes the jet flame powerful and it could be powered on even under the windy environment. I got a triple flame lighter a few months ago, and it works windproof, this helps for someone usually work outside like me.
How do windproof (jet) lighters work?
Most of the windbreak wall is non-porous, so when the wind blows horizontally towards the torch lighter windbreak wall. The wind is blocked and forced to flow to the sides and above, then a much smaller amount of air passes through the small holes. The area blocked by the iron sheet next to the hole is a low-pressure area, it makes the air column passing through the small hole dispersed, forming multiple vortexes inside the combustion chamber. These low-velocity turbulences are not enough for the wick flame to quickly take away heat. Therefore, the wick flame can be continuously maintained above the ignition point of Z oil, and the combustion can be maintained.
Is the windproof lighter safe?
It is easy to be triggered when heated no matter what kind of lighter it is. Basically, the power generated by a lighter itself is not very big, as long as there is no contact with the human body, it will not cause major damage. However, in midsummer, if the lighter is played around other inflammable and explosive products or in a car, the consequences are disastrous. In addition, wind-proof lighters still have some other safety hazards.
Concerning wind-proof lighters are not as safe as ordinary lighters due to their high temperature, and the price may be more expensive, ordinary lighters seem are more commonly used in our daily life. But as long as we master the correct use method and pay attention to some matters, it will prevent danger from happening.
How to use windproof lighter correctly?
1. While using, the flame height will change to a certain extent as the product’s air content decreases, and the ambient temperature changes. This is a normal phenomenon, you could totally adjust the flame height appropriately.
2. It would be better to adjust the flame height at 1.5-2.5 cm.
3. Use a flat-blade screwdriver to align the flame regulator groove, or if the lighter is equipped with an adjustment ring, simply adjust it with your fingers.
(-) arrow direction means turning clockwise to lower the flame height; to (+) arrow direction means turning counterclockwise to increase the flame height.
Make sure that the gas nozzle of the inflatable canister and the inflatable hole of the lighter are of the same specification, put up the lighter and the gas canister is down (shake it to expand the gas before use). Hold it for 3-5 seconds and it will be OK. After filling, the lighter will have a temporary venting phenomenon, up to 3-5 seconds. If there is a continuous venting phenomenon, the lighter may leak.
In addition, there will be a temporary inability to strike after the gas is filled, and it will be fine after a while. The lighter can generally adjust the firepower, and you can adjust it appropriately according to your needs.
What should you know about the use of butane lighters?
1. Don’t burn the lighter for a long time. Don’t try to use it as an oil lamp, as regular long-term burning will cause the lighter to anneal, which will seriously affect its ignition performance.
2. Do not rub and fire on hard objects: do not rub and fire on the ground, stones, or wood, as this will seriously damage the flared wheel and eventually lead to failure to fire.
3. If your lighter burns for more than 10 seconds, please do not immediately pinch the windbreak wall and pull out the inner tank, because the heat conduction ability of metal is very strong. Even the windbreak wall cannot burn your hands, your fingers will be hurt.
4. Do not ignite in the wind. Although the windproof performance of the windproof lighter is good enough, do not deliberately ignite it in the wind, or test its windproof performance in front of the fan. Because it will accelerate the burning of the cotton core while wind blowing, thereby accelerating the carbonization of the cotton core. Buring the butane lighter under a strong wind, the carbonization speed of the cotton core can be multi times than the normal one.
5. Stay away from the fire source when refueling.
6. Keep away from children.
7. Strictly forbidden to flammable substances, clothing.
8. Don’t put lighters and sharps together: metal objects such as keys, fruit knives, etc. are put together, especially black ice or mirror machines, which can easily scratch the surface of the fuselage.